Wednesday 13 February 2013

experienced stupidity .....

No, this is not a needle and thread installation but the sad, sad case of ineptitude.  I decided to sew my Starry Starry Night book together using eight sewing stations, in a single page coptic binding.   With a mere page and the cover to go it was apparent that I was not going to have enough thread in my eight needles, and would have to start again.

Don't know if you have had to do this, cut out all the stitching you have so carefully done, but it is heartbreaking especially when you are feeling a little time poor!  I thought I had heard a little voice in the back of my head saying that you need to make SURE you had enough thread to complete the binding on each needle as with this form of coptic there is no joining option.  I just didn't pay it enough attention - or the little voice was not there until half way through and I just kept hoping, and hoping.

Anyway, it is done now.  All finished and ready to meet with Fiona and her book tomorrow.

















8 comments:

  1. I do not post as often as you and others that I follow and fall behind with blog posts.. but know you are leaving soon so wanted to leave a comment to wish a wonderful trip. I have scrolled down several posts and love your starry night book... and even your mistake with your stitching your book binding looks good to me. I have never made a book from scratch so I admire everything you do. take care and have a great trip.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Donna. I am so pleased you check in with my blog - it is not always important to comment but it is lovely to know you have visited! Yes, i leave on Tuesday and after tomorrow, actually have time to prepare for and get excited about the trip. I am meeting with Fiona tomorrow and we have our 'bookmeet' after which we show the finished books in their glory! It is such an interesting exercise and we both gain so much not only from participating in this collaboration, but in sharing our experience with others too.
      I will keep posting while I am away ... am certain to find plenty of glorious images along the way.
      Many thanks for your well wishes.

      Delete
  2. Oh dear - such a sadness when that happens, but the shots are beautiful aren't they? If that is any consolation. just finished my book and looking forward to them catching up tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I really feel for you, Susan...very patience-testing. I always find it difficult to undertake those tasks that require advance thought/precision/planning, and tend to hold my breath during such work! Hopefully, once you're sitting at the 'meeting of the books', the re-do will be a distant memory.
    Looking forward to seeing both of your photos of the big meeting...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right Lisa - all the remembered pain left once the two books met this morning. total delight it was ....

      Delete
  4. I love the shots of the pulled thread... it seems ripe for a small painting, to me... think about it!! Have a good trip, and congratulations on the (now-completed) book!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Don't you just love the fact that photographs can make something quite beautiful out of anything. Those images could certainly make for small paintings. Once I get back from overseas though I think I will indulge in my longing for some HUGE work. I will still keep making books collaboratively with Fiona but need to get on with some of my larger work for a while. Mind you - who knows what inspiration will flood me whilst travelling ..... Thanks for the good wishes.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments - thank you!