Friday 25 May 2018

21/52 'small landscape' .....


This little book consists of four folios sewn into the cover with pamphlet stitch.  The spine was then covered with a hinge of black leather.  As is often the case my inspiration is drawn from extensive journeys into the Australian outback.  I used some of the rusted paper I had in the studio as it reflects so much of the true interior colour and then painted small landscape scenes with black ink.  A few small details were added either with fine black pen or white conte.  The book was surprisingly difficult to photograph and so only a few snippets are shown here.






9 comments:

  1. I love it! Years ago, I made a similar book, but in seaside tones.I sandwiched the paper in some wet jeans to get a murky-sea background!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your seaside tones book sounds lovely. I too have been working of late with seaside tones rather than these dark images. I have done some large drawings and will post on them soon.

      Delete
  2. beautiful. it's astonishing how hard it is to photograph books well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Velma. It takes a book maker to know how hard it can be at times .....

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thanks Mo. Sometimes drawings done quickly are so much fresher and more effective than those laboured over - or given too much thought.

      Delete
  4. Lovely!
    I'm finding your year of books very inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Penny. It is lovely that people are following this project. Sometimes I wonder what the heck I am doing and then I get a message like this from you, or an unexpected email arrives from someone who has been following my journey and drawing inspiration from it. It helps me keep going!

      Delete
  5. So beautiful ! The colours are splendid and I love the details in white too. Annick

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments - thank you!