Thursday 7 August 2014

telling stories .....

The process of telling a story in an artist's book form is quite unlike any other art I make which may stand alone and does not have to explain itself from page to page, and as such is an easier process.   I find that birthing a book takes weeks of mind mapping, then working out what techniques will be used to tell that story, finally the work has to be narrowed down from all the possibilities, the 'I coulds' to the 'I will'.

For some this process might come more easily but my experience is that a book which may even look really simple in its completion, takes a great deal of thought and mulling over before it comes together.

Even following a 'recipe' as Fiona explained in her posting is not as simple as it sounds.  In fact I think we have both found the process quite difficult.  Just when you think that you have all twelve dictates covered, you realise that one of the ingredients is missing and you have to think again.  Well, that is the challenge of this book and I am sure I will have more to say about it when our books meet in a couple of weeks.

Here are a few photos to show you where my book is heading....











You might wonder why this photo is here, it is because this was the second attempt to sew up my book (I had to stop my first attempt and go and do a sample of single sheet coptic binding as I had not used it for ages) and already the back cover is loosening from the bundle. Ugh!  Third attempt coming up.

My book is finished.  Of course there is still that third sewing attempt to tackle .....

1 comment:

  1. These are beautiful. I wish I could watch over your shoulder while you work.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments - thank you!