Saturday 13 April 2013

my impressionist normandy .....

I arrived home three days ago, unfortunately my good health didn't make the same flight but I hear it is safely on its way.

I am not yet in the studio but oh so looking forward to that!  Just a few more posts about our holiday which though marred by poor health and weather, was still enjoyable.

These photos were taken on our cruise along the Seine through Normandy.  A couple of them are taken through the window of a bus and the slightest blurring seems to have turned the photographs into impressionist paintings.  I am thrilled with them and have more understanding now of some of the impressionist paintings I have seen that are so evocative.  It is all very well travelling in good weather in Spring and Autumn, but the visual experience of travelling in the cold of winter with all the earth hues and misty muted colours was quite something.

I will be back again blogging more regularly.  Soon hopefully showing some creative work.  Thank all of you who have sent me comments along the way .... it meant a lot to me.  I am not going to get around to commenting to each of you personally, but thank you - those who have followed me for some time, and those who kindly came and visited while I was away, and stayed.

Very soon I will be enjoying visiting you all in your studios via your blogs ..... what a treat that will be.








































17 comments:

  1. Hi SB - so glad to have you home; sorry to hear about the state of unwellness - hope health returns soon. There is something special about the trunks of trees and bare trees - F and I often refer to them as skinny trees after they have lost their leaves for a while. Go well. B

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Barry - great to be home. Yep - so many of us have a thing about tree trunks ...... amongst other things!!

      Delete
  2. So pleased to see you are home but I'm sorry that you have still not got the best of health.
    I LOVE the first photograph, it makes me want to start doing a piece of work straight away.
    We haven't had good weather in North West France as sadly you've experienced but we live in hope of spring coming at last. Tomorrow we are supposed to be having sunshine and some warmth.
    I look forward to seeing some of your new work soon.
    I'm working but my health is still causing me a lot of problems and the whole creative process is not an easy one sometimes but it takes over from pain so that's a positive.

    Diane. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Like you - LOVED the first photograph. It really looks more like a painting than a photograph. We have had a few days of sunshine in a row - it has been glorious. I am improving in health too though not at a great pace.
      Fiona and I are working together briefly on Tuesday as it is world Book Day and so I should be able to post on something little but creative and fun.
      Let's hope May brings along good health for us all ...... will be most welcome in your corner of the world by the sound of it. x

      Delete
  3. These images are stunning!! I love the slight blur and the rich, earthy colors, beautiful. The two top ones remind me of my favorite Gustav Klimt landscape paintings, I think its called "Beechgrove".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Valerie - you comment will make me go in search of the Gustav Klimt paintings you are talking about. Of course I think of him mostly as a decorative figurative painter so seeing other work will be lovely.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. thank you! Feeling a little better every day. Will be dangerous again soon ....

      Delete
  5. These are so atmospheric - and reflect so well the almost dead end-of-a-long-winter colours that are all around us in the UK just now. I especially like the first two - lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Charlton. Yes - we have to travel away from Australia to see those gorgeous rich winter landscapes. I am always envious when I see photographs in post showing snow and ice, bare trees on white ground .... for you all in America and Europe, the four seasons are way more evident than here. Further south in Australia it is more seasonal ...... but we dont get much snow.

      Delete
  6. Truly inspirational photographs! I hope good health comes soon so you can be creative.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carol. Looking forward to using some of that inspiration one gets from travel, here in the studio. My health is creeping back which is good - just feeling a little impatient!

      Delete
  7. Such lovely soft images. I really love the tree trunks and the fence. Take care, talk soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Fiona - will look forward to showing you some more of my favourite photographs. x

      Delete
  8. Such beautiful photos, Sue, full of atmosphere and mystery. Do get well soon, not good to come home and feel unwell.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I appreciate your good wishes Carol. Thanks you. It is grand to be home and day by day I am getting well again.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great to hear you are on the mend, Susan, and thanks for sharing these magical soft muted photos - yes, I also miss the 4 seasons of life in a cooler climate

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments - thank you!