Sunday 30 January 2022

telling or creating a story .....


What is it that makes an artist's book a success?  For me there are two elements foremost on my mind when I plan a book - how I will present it visually and what story am I telling.   This is not a strict rule in my making but I do prefer to ponder these issues before I begin creating an artist's book.

As I am about to start some teaching I have been beavering away in the studio creating further examples of my artist's books to share with students.  Next week I will post on a book which was conceived with a story inbuilt, whereas this book is very much about trying to create a story from a couple of etchings that I found in my drawers and which I had never particularly liked.


There were two prints, very graphic though using one of my favourite techniques in the printmaking arsenal, sugar lift.  I love the free flowing forms you can give your work with the sugar lift process.  With these two prints I had experimented with different colour ways and obviously was not happy with them as they have been buried in a bottom drawer for years.  I decided that as they didn't work as prints, I would take them apart and create a story with them.  You can see in the photographs below that I cut them into a favourite landscape shape and then decided to use some ink solutions to change the work into something I preferred.






The problem arose when I was trying to construct some kind of storyline for my 'artist's book' and I ran into all sorts of problems as I could not find a way to present the pages in a way they came together to tell their story.  I thought I could mount them onto a Fabriano 640gsm paper and emboss around them.  Still I could find no story to tell.


I thought that I could include further mark making work in behind each image to see if I could find storyline.  No luck.


Somehow this way of presenting the work and trying to fabricate a story was never going to work so I almost gave up.



Finally, I realised that the pages only made sense when I laid them out as a landscape book - a long thin story line of marks both subtle and bold which tramped their way through my landscape story.


And so after much playing around and juggling the eternal 'I could do this' or 'I could do that' I had made a decision and went ahead and sewed my book using a grey blue thread which actually brings out some of the lovely blues still present on the pages.




I now have a seven page little landscape book, 24cms x 5cms and the truth is, I really don't think it works that well as an artist's book.  And that is how it happens sometimes - you start with no plan and really try hard to pull a story together and it just doesn't work.  Other times, especially if you begin with a story in mind before creating the artwork, you find a story line which comes together very easily and rings true.


So now I have quite a cute little book which you can hold up close and examine closely, finding all the embossed marks I created before the book was laminated and sewn and though I have accepted (or have I ....) that there is no story here to tell, I can just enjoy a wee visual adventure.


 

6 comments:

  1. which comes first, the story or the book? ... quite the conundrum, I'd say

    and though it is indeed a lovely thing to look at, the word "cipher" comes to mind ... a blank book waiting to be filled

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah! the eternal question Liz. For me the question is both, depending on the tack I take. I like to have an idea at first but am then fluid enough to bend to the whim of the artwork. Sometimes, rarely, I am in quite some 'other' place and the artwork will come and the story follows. And then there are many times you can happily be playing in the studio and the outcome of the play is sufficient for it to encourage you to make an artist's book. See books I make have absolutely no story at all but just work well visually ....... so I guess there is no right answer to your question!

      Delete
  2. I think some books appear effortlessly; whilst other are wrestled out of the paper. Sometimes they end up where they do and you look at them and think oh, so that's that but they grow on you or you find that they explain something for you that you can then use in something else. It's fascinating process each and every time - loved following along with this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks F - and you are so right. It is a process and sometimes even after you think you have finished with a work a better solution presents itself. Already I think I will bend this book of rocks and stones and landscape marks in a different direction. The more I look at it, the more a realise the landscape is of those rocky outcrops along shore lines. There are enough greys and rusty iron marks and texture to validate a coastal landscape so I am thinking about colouring the backs in that lovely blue grey like the thread. Rocks and water. Of course I may just be lazy and leave it as it is ......

      Delete
  3. Susan, I love that you procrastinate over old works and work with them to then become still not quite settled on the final outcome.
    Thanks for being so honest about your work… ‘tis rare at times!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Glenys. I do try to be honest and when setting out to write this blog many years ago (even though there have been some years I have barely posted) I tried to photograph and show as many of my errors or failures as I did the work that resolved happily. This blog is all about that - recording my studio practice. Often people see a finished work not knowing what a struggle it was to bring it to the point of happy completion.

      Delete

I appreciate your comments - thank you!