Thursday 7 October 2021

the red thread ...

 



A showing of recent works by

Susan Bowers, Fiona Dempster, Stephanie McLennan and Tory Richards.


A collection of prints, mixed media drawings and artists' books


The theme 'The Red Thread' has given us all the opportunity to explore in our own way what it means to have threads holding and connecting us to each other and the world especially at a time when the world has seemed very strange indeed.

Sometimes it takes an exhibition or in this case a 'showing' of work to motivate you back into the studio, and back into the blogging world where I am quite shocked to realise it has been years since I last posted to tracemarks.  I have missed it. Now that I am here over three years later, not only has the format for blogging changed by I think my work has too.  Certainly I have been exploring concepts that have seen me wearing my heart on my sleeves a little and I will be posting more on that, and on the works that I am submitting for show, at a later stage.

I am including below one of the images of a series of five large drawings - 900mm x 700mm - which have been done with the idea of spiritual connections.  The intangible forces that surround us and hold us. As is often the case in a small version of a large work the detail is lost.  As you may have read in previous posts of mine that I have not been able to work with intaglio etching and since then have been searching for a way to reproduce the plate tone I so loved with copper plate printing.  This is the closest I have come to realising that effect with drawing.


'Hope'



13 comments:

  1. beautiful drawing (((Susan))) so good to see you back in bloglandia!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mo. Good to be back but the format has changed in the last few years and I am still working our what to do!

      Delete
  2. The Red Thread promises to be a wonderful show ... I'm looking forward to it and so glad you will be posting about it here

    As for the small version of a large work, at least my laptop enabled me to zoom in to see its fine marks ... certainly not the same as being there, but the best I can hope for on my side of the world

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Liz. I know what you mean - sometimes we see things that our blogging friends are doing or showing and long to be there but have to make do with digital immersion. Not the same - but still a joy to be able to keep in touch this way. Glad you saw my drawing on a lap top - certainly easier to understand that on an iPhone.

      Delete
  3. It's getting exciting! That drawing is stunning and I can't wait to see it all together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Fiona - yes it is getting exciting. Pulling all the work together, joining with friends to show what we have been up to this last year. And once again - you have been the motivator.

      Delete
  4. What a lovely surprise to find your blog again after so long. Luckily , I too enlarged your drawing and was blown away by the hidden details. Wonderful work. I will try and see it alive if possible.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great to see your blog again. Hope you post a few more of your beautiful drawings and the exhibition goes well

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Jack. So very good to hear from you and please do let me know if you are coming up to see the work as I will try and be there to say hello.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So lovely to see your beautiful work again Susan and to see you here back on your blog. I had a long break from my blog too between 2017 and 2021. Looks like a wonderful show, all the best with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Helen. Not fully back as you can see - keep forgetting to go into my blog and see who has visited. The show was wonderful - just put a new post up on some of the work I did for it. Must take a peek at what you have been up to as well.

      Delete
  8. Good to see you back here AND I discovered your instagram account, so savoring your work over yonder.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments - thank you!