Saturday 25 July 2015

3d drawings .....

I have been away from my blog for two calendar months - but not away from the studio.  In fact I have been working quite hard on and off, getting ready for the big exhibition later this year.  What has kept me from the blog has been my health as I have saved all my energy and focus for main job at hand - completing some work.

During the last couple of months I have been exploring some new techniques and materials - both for drawing and for textural paintings.   Below you can see an image or two of one of my drawings, or a part thereof.  These are worked flat in mixed media and then I score and fold them to produce my 3D imagery.  I have only worked half a dozen but am planning another dozen and will choose my favourite combination from these to exhibit.  








The process of taking a drawing and then cutting the sheets is fraught with danger ..... so easy to cut too far through the work and spoil it.  I find I am continually holding my breath.

These photographs are poorly taken with me trying to hold a light and a camera simultaneously.  I have them pinned up on a section of wall in the studio where there is no light, and though they look okay like that, the addition of light makes such a huge difference.  I have been recycling many of the materials brought home from my father's architectural practice after his passing a couple of years ago now - it has taken until recently to realise how beautiful the aged drafting film and tracing papers are to work into.


I will post again on these once I am not juggling lights and cameras and can show them in their totemic state and not cross sections like this.  Each 'totem' is around 1200 - 100 cams in height and an installation accommodate as many as I want to make. In their first showing this will depend on space available.








I particularly like the look of these with light brought close up underneath - they really look 'lit from within'.  I imagine track lighting will be an important feature of showing this work.


10 comments:

  1. good to see all these new explorations Susan!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mo - will be good to wander about and see what everyone else has been doing while I have been tucked away!

      Delete
  2. Looks like you've been working hard Susan - with great results. Can't wait to see these in the flesh!
    Sometimes we just need to be present in the real world and leave our online presence for a while. God knows I do!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Robyn. You are so right about jsut needing to be persent in the real world at times. Sometimes it is all you can handle. Nice to come back on line though. My blog is my visual diary of sorts so a gap of two months is a biggie ..... will need to take more photos of what I have done and put them there. Maybe you will be up soon to see some things in the flesh????

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Many thanks Sharmon - I am enjoying this work..... think maybe I am a frustrated sculptor!

      Delete
  4. I love the idea of light -- lit -- from within... highlighting the subtle marks of your wonderful papers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The light certainly brings some warmth into the work. Even if it is only lit at night I think the change from day visuals to night will be a lovely thing .....

      Delete
  5. Hi SB - I also love what the light does to or for the marks when lit from the bottom. Continue to enjoy the experimentation. Go well. B

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Barry - I will certainly enjoy creating in this manner. Am really enjoying working in 3D for a change.

      Delete

I appreciate your comments - thank you!