Wednesday 23 April 2014

world book day 2014 and the books meet .....

World Book Day and exactly two years since Fiona and I started our collaboration.  We were celebrating that milestone today as well as celebrating the completion of our latest artists' books - birds, eggs, nests, feathers.

Not sure quite what we were thinking when we chose that title (and decided that our books would be collaborative in title only) but I do remember we thought it would challenge us.  And it did.  I have posted already on the struggles I encountered with finding a way to make a book out of the images I had etched.  Finally I found that my comfort zone was where my book took shape, revealing glimpses of the story rather than having everything divulged at once.  Bringing more of the mark making elements of suggestion, rather than using all the work I had done with the etchings.  I am pleased to have the etching plates, and to have done the work, but I am so very happy to have found a way to produce a book that felt like me, telling a story in the manner I would chose rather than having the work I did towards it dominate and dictate.  In the end our books are more collaborative than we had thought as we both worked into the others' book, I with a couple of images and Fiona with her beautiful calligraphy. Fiona - the words you found to help you express your book have given my book validation.  Thank you.

The results of our books will be shown more intimately in the next post.  As is our custom, we brought the books together today for their first meeting.  Fiona had seen my completed book as she wrote in it for me and though I had seen parts of her book and had done the work for her 'wings' and 'nests' pages, I had not seen the complete book.  What joy it was to sit down with it nestled in my hand and turn each page, marvelling at its quietness and gentleness.  You will see those details tomorrow but let me tell you, viewing these books on the internet is really nothing at all like holding them closely and sticking your nose into each little detail ....

Artists' book are incredibly difficult to photograph effectively, especially trying to photograph two together.  It is always a challenge in itself. The first few images are of our two books and the following images are of our collection of collaborative books.  We have had an amazing journey in this venture and have grown in strength as book artists.  I have thoroughly enjoyed and appreciated Fiona's support, encouragement and her contributions into 'my' books and I am pretty certain she too will say that the understanding of each others' work and our respect for it, has been what has made this such an amazing collaboration. 



















13 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Many thanks Sue. It is actually really difficult to take good photos of books I think. It just does not do them justice so I am glad you enjoyed them.

      Delete
  2. SB - all power to you pair - such quality work. B

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Barry - think we have created some lovely work over the last two years or supporting and prodding each other!

      Delete
  3. Looking forward to seeing more of this. I love the long thin format.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too - this format would be my most favourite. The book I am submitting for Personal Histories is the same format.

      Delete
  4. It all looks scrumptiously beautiful.
    The great problem I find, however, with artist's books is that to see them displayed is to be frustrated. The only way properly to appreciate them is to handle them, to turn the pages, to feel and to understand the progression from one page to the next, to understand the relationship between the pages, and to enjoy the memory of past pages while turning the subsequent ones. I always think that two people really get to savour the delights of an artist's book: the artist, and the buyer/possessor - and perhaps any lucky folks who are privileged to leaf through.
    But thank you for giving us the delights of these photographs. They are certainly something worth savouring in themselves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am going to stick with the 'scrumptiously delicious' - though I agree that is no way to view an artists' book. One needs to be involved intimately with the work.

      Delete
  5. I want to comment, but my brain just won't function - it's still in that fog of amazement and admiration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glas your brain gets into a fog too - mine spent a great deal of its time in that fog trying to work a way through this collaboration! x

      Delete
    2. glas = glad! Still in the fog it would seem. :-)

      Delete
  6. Exquisite images. Great to read about your collaborations. Can't wait to see more.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Robyn - I am always thrilled when I know you have followed our collaboration. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments - thank you!