Saturday 21 April 2018

16/52 'war package' .....


This little book is made from one of the pages I made for the 'Pieces for Peace' exhibition in Brussels in 2014 though it is completely reworked into a small folded format.  I  made a little box for the book and realised that although it housed a rather dramatic little book, the cover itself looked quite 'pretty'. This led me to start thinking about how war is often packaged in different ways, presented to us in different guises, concealed, ignored even tolerated.  Expected.



I rarely visit this arena in my artwork as it makes me so irate and then I become artistically crippled.  I do so admire people who can tackle weighty issues in their artwork, and in their writing .... my comfort is back in the landscape where I find nature heals all wounds and restores us.


Anzac Day is next week and at this time of year I find myself thinking about all our men and women who have lost lives through war.  Then I begin to think about all those who have lost lives in their own homes as part of domestic violence.  How can we hope for peace in the world when there is so much violence close to home.  Dismal thoughts ..... and this is why I usually avoid making this sort of book.



The imagery really speaks for itself.  Death and crosses.  Row upon row.  More on this next week!




10 comments:

  1. (((Susan))) I dream of a world where love is the answer...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just imagine that Mo ......... a whole world where people love each other.

      Delete
  2. Beautifully re-worked and presented - a huge book in a small package - it says so much...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Fiona. Strange how sometimes a book or work can lead you into its own story rather than you take it ....

      Delete
  3. It is difficult to deal with the big issues without the work becoming trite or clichéd. Congratulations, this is an effective comment on a big subject in a small package

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jac. I think you are right about big issues so easily becoming trite or cliched. There is always the temptation to ramble on or ‘preach’ about something which you feel passionately but I always find the fewer words spoken, the larger the message can be. It can be a writer’s gift.

      Delete
  4. Hi SB - another beauty - I notice a bit more type and words making there way into these latter books - 'tis good. Go well. B

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Barry. Tis definitely Fiona’s influence that I am using words a little more often. I have recognised that sometimes a word or two helps a viewer decipher my often oblique work. It gives my work an anchor.

      Delete
  5. YES! Our responsibility as humans, global citizens, artists to be our best and to witness in what we do. Infuriated is not a good place to be. Which is why I avoid the whole image/trump thing. I am best suited and more productive doing the work differently.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too - disappointed that I am not more often able to tackle the weighty issues with my artwork. But we are who we are and I like to think that the things we make bring delight to those with whom the work connects. Besides, what I do and what you do as well is make work with all that haptic quality. I remember years ago your comment to me about haptic delight and it sent me scurrying to the dictionary!

      Delete

I appreciate your comments - thank you!